09 February 2009

Love

I have had a thought that is one of those incredibly obvious things that I feel stupid even to mention, except for the fact that it has escaped me for so long and seems to escape our world for the most part. The answer is love. Real love. Love that always serves the other rather than self, the beloved rather than the lover. Sacrifice is the difference between sentiment and love. Sentiment is selfish; love is sacrificial.

We should love in everything. Love should be the criterion for every human encounter. Have I loved at this meeting? Have I loved as I waited in traffic? Have I loved in my vocation?

I was thinking of this in the context of the "choice" of abortion. Would abortion ever be chosen based on this kind of love? Wouldn't this kind of love always find room for a new life -- somehow?

This kind of love transforms life. Everything. How could I deliberately hurt another? Or if I did, how could I fail to seek pardon? How could I fail to forgive another for hurting me? What problem could not be faced with such love? To love like this certainly would not be easy -- but how liberating!

I am going to try to love like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes!!!
It's all about LOVE!!!!