19 April 2009

"Absolute liberty of personal volition"

I follow my own moral standards. I would never do something or not do something because of the Honor Code. I would just do it because it seemed right or wrong to me.
This quotation is from Friday's Vanderbilt Hustler in the lead article on the Honor Code. If this statement indicates the way the Vanderbilt Honor Code is accepted, then it indicates the end of the Honor Code as a code. If one's own opinion is the ultimate arbiter of morality, there can be no imposition of a code. If there is no authority outside of the self, then there is no authority.

If you would like to think about this dilemma, here is a link to an article for you. The title of this post is a quotation from the article. The article make the claim that the philosophy behind such a statement as appeared in the Hustler is nihilism.

What is the Christian answer to such an nihilistic outlook?
Fortunately, this was not the only understanding of the Honor Code offered in the article. Another student disagreed:
The Honor Code is kind of the foundation for learning. If you go to all your lectures and classes with the attitude of I want to learn this, that's what I am here for and I don't want to take the easy way out to get an A in this class, then yeah, it becomes a part of your everyday experience.
This student recognizes standards outside of himself that form the self.

Any thoughts?

No comments: