12 June 2009

Corpus Christi Procession

Last night I had an incredible experience at the Pope's Corpus Christi (or Corpus Domini, as they call it here) procession. For the first time, I saw the Pope not as the head of the universal Church but as the Bishop of Rome. The procession for all its size is really very homey. All sorts of guilds and orders participate. The Pope is loaded up in the back of a pick up truck (a very nicely decorated pick up truck -- but a pick up truck none the less) and kneels there in adoration of the Blessed Sacrament from St. John Lateran to St. Mary Major. It is all in the open. People, including me, rush along to keep with Jesus and the Pope. I was really very childish pushing my way along! When the Pope gets to St. Mary Major, he gets down and offers Benediction. As the crowd repeated the Divine Praises after the Pope in Italian, I saw him as their Bishop whom they love as their own. It was an awesome experience.

2 comments:

Diezba said...

I'm smiling imagining your running alongside the Pope's pick-up truck as it made its way through Rome.

Anonymous said...

I participated in this procession last year! Best thing ever!!!
:) Maria