03 August 2009

Jill and Kevin's wedding

I have seen the video from this wedding posted and commented on favorably on so many sites that I finally have to comment in the negative. (I'm not posting it here -- if you want to see it, you will have to find it for yourself.) I love the music and the dancing. It is fun and joyful. It would have been delightful at the reception. It does not belong in church.

At one of the most splendid ceremonies that I have seen recently, the final profession of the Dominican Sisters of Nashville, the homilist began by making a provocative point. He had the audacity to tell these beautiful and generous young women that this day and this ceremony were not about them! Can you believe it? He said that it was all about Jesus. Who does he think he is? Well, he is actually the Theologian to the Pontifical Household -- the Pope's theologian. And he is right. Someone needed to tell the same thing to this wedding party.

I suppose that it is possible for a dance to be directed to the glory of God, but it would be a rare thing. I think that this accounts for the Church's hesitation about liturgical dance. Certainly the dancing at this wedding was about self-expression, and that is why it is wrong in church. It's not about us. It's about Him.

3 comments:

Diezba said...

You hit the nail on the head, Father. I posted a link to this on my Facebook, I liked it so much.

Patti said...

but they weren't married in a Catholic church. If it's wrong it your church, so be it. Hopefully a priest would stop it - but this was a Methodist church. Such celebration is NOT wrong there.

Anonymous said...

A wedding IS totally about the people getting married, and their video clip is one of the most joyful and uplifting things I have seen in a while. Sadly, you can't say that about the Catholic Church, can you?