14 September 2009

Humility

As the old song goes, it is hard to be humble, yet humility is necessary for everything in the spiritual life.

The really big first step in a relationship with God is to acknowledge God as God and oneself as creature, "elevated" to the status of child. It is very hard for most of us to do this. Ironically, I find it hardest to be humble when I have the most to be humble about. When I feel comfortable and confident, I can (sometimes) be humble too. It is when I am insecure and have doubts about my ability for a certain task that I am most likely to get so caught up in myself that I also lose humility. Getting caught up in myself is the real problem. Sometimes I am so concerned that a particular project or event turn out well that I become too self-reliant. In such a case, it would really be better to do nothing at all than to do something so prideful.

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to see this situation play itself out several times. I need to see that God takes care of things, even when I am anxious. When things turn out differently from I had hoped, I need to resist the temptation to turn inward and become discouraged and more insecure. Rather I need to have a good laugh at myself and fix things up by getting myself out of the way.

Humility, love it!

No comments: