06 March 2010

her

While I am not a regular reader of Nashville's her magazine, I was delighted to have pointed out to me a letter from one of Vanderbilt Catholic's finest disputing an article that called for readers to "limit your offspring to two" for the sake of the planet. Our own Erica Nimri took this recommendation to task and retorted: "I plan on doing my part by raising a big, happy, Catholic family - and by ignoring patronizing articles such as this one." WOWZA! I wish I could link you to the letter, but I can't find letters in the online version of the magazine. You can find her for free in pink boxes around town.

Anyhow, I love this because it is the new evangelization. Taking the Gospel to the world. This was in her, not the National Catholic Register. Thanks, Erica! That's the kind of Vanderbilt Catholic that makes me proud.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I live with her!!! Yes, love it!!!
Awesome job, Sweetmate!

Terra Bella said...

Ms. Nimri also said that she supposed that I, Terra Bella, was "tickled pink by the climbing death toll in Haiti." Love is my religion and as such I would never write or say anything intentionally hurtful to another of my species, nor am I or would I ever be “tickled pink” about masses of humanity being annihilated in a natural disaster.

While it's true that I suggested limiting one's offspring to two or three, I did not cast aspersions at those who would choose to rear a bigger family.

I apologize for upsetting Ms. Nimri, but I do not think I was "out of line" to suggest that people consider the impact we humans have on our planet.

Sincerely,
Terra Bella

Anonymous said...

I'm rather late in commenting on these different ways of approaching
family planning decisions but felt
compelled to do so. I can sympathize with Terra Bella taking
offense at the reaction that Ms. Nimri had to her article but I do
wish that I had read fewer statistics when I and my husband were planning our future together and based more life decisions on love for each other and a desire to be participants
in God's ongoing work of creation, which includes
being good stewards of our earth
but not servants of it. The bottom line is, we worried TOO much
and over thought EVERYTHING and
drained joy from our life together.

It's rather odd to me, in retrospect, that so many
ways that couples choose to limit
the number of children in their
families put women at war with their own bodies. Just reading
the side effects of oral contraceptives is sobering. If we
are to live in harmony with the
earth, we should be starting by
living in harmony with our own
bodies, knowing signs of fertility
if pregnancy is to be delayed but always being open to new life, a
new thought from God. (check out
Northwest Family Services, just
take a chance and give it a try)

In my one child I hope to instill
an openness to life and love that
my husband and I failed to practice. To me, that is the religion of love.

Good luck and God be with and bless you both.