04 November 2010

I am a jealous God

I love the anthropomorphisms of the Old Testament! Even though false, in a sense, they are so true. God's "jealousy" is for our good not His. That is why it is not true jealousy. We have to love Him alone, or we get into all sorts of trouble. Even the truest rival love leads to Hell (Inferno, canto V). Is that heavy enough for you?

OK -- I am seeing lots of love around me. I used to wonder at seeing so little; now I am amazed at seeing so much. I am going to make a very strange offer: to talk about romantic love. I don't think that I am much of an expert, but I know that there is practically no good advice out there in the DTR culture. I think that I can pass on some of the ancient wisdom of the Tradition.

Here is a hint of the direction I will be taking. This is my working title: "I call you friends."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the wedding prayer
of Tobiah and Sarah from Tobit:

Blessed are you, O God of our
fathers; praised be your name
forever and ever.
Let the heavens and all your
creation praise you forever.
You made Adam and you gave him
his wife Eve to be his help and
support; and from these two the
human race descended.
You said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; let us make him a partner like himself."
Now, Lord, you know that I take this wife of mine not because of
lust, but for a noble purpose.
Call down your mercy on me and on her and allow us to live together to a happy old age.

CeeCee said...

I am so excited about the FSC!!!