27 June 2011

Is the Pope reading my mind?

It is probably more correct to say that I am taking a lead in my thinking from the Holy Father :-) In any case, Pope Benedict answers my question from yesterday's post in his Sunday Angelus address by saying that authentic Christian communion can only exist in the Holy Eucharist. It seems to me that he is calling us to something more than what we are doing now.

Here is a key sentence: "In a culture that is ever more individualistic -- like that in which Western societies are immersed and which is spreading throughout the world -- the Eucharist constitutes a kind of "antidote," which operates in the minds and hearts of believers and continually sows in them the logic of communion, of service, of sharing, in a word, the logic of the Gospel."

How can we actually live this logic of communion? The Holy Father gives the example of the early Christians. What should we do? Here? Now? Can you all give any suggestions? Can we discuss this? I am really serious.

Here is the Holy Father's whole talk -- it's very short so read it!

No comments: