15 June 2011

Single Sex Dorms

Catholic University is reverting to single-sex dorms. Talk about a news story that ought never to have been needed! Anyhow, I am happy to see sanity return whenever and wherever possible.

I know that I am a cave man. I have had the single-sex dorm argument with some of the best students of Vandy Catholic, but this one is a no-brainer. I say so on the negative side because I know a little bit about human nature. Those are the arguments that Catholic University is using, and they are good arguments.

But I also say so on the positive side, for promoting communion. Ordinarily, friendships are gender specific. Men and women cannot be friends the way that men or women are friends with each other. When you are young and single is the time for such friendship to flourish. At Vanderbilt, for example, such friendships are relegated mainly to fraternities and sororities. This is one of the reasons, I believe, that the Greek system is so strong at Vanderbilt. It addresses this fundamental human desire for friendships of this kind. Nothing else at Vanderbilt does. We try to at Vandy Catholic and FOCUS. I think that we should try harder!

I think that Catholic University will experience greater community and campus spirit from this decision.

No comments: